I need some inconsistency

An amalgamation of content: the aim not to politicise, but exercise. I'll think aloud about politics, technology, current news, as well as being a gay boy and what that really entails.

Saturday, January 08, 2005

It's too early to talk

I've just finished re-writing an essay for my Politics course. The title is:

To what extent are immigration and asylum policies the main reason for the growth in electoral support for extreme right parties?


I wrote a good draft of it about a month ago but had decided that the draft was simply too badly written to hand in. So I've gone through it all over again and rewritten the whole thing, with all the references re-jigged and everything sorted. I sat down again to work on it at 10 PM after looking at other work all day, and then I worked through the night.
I'm on the top floor of our house and the rain is buffeting the Victorian structure like it's trying to push the whole building over. I feel like a bubble of light amidst the darkness. Everyone else is asleep and I'm all alone typing away in the sodium-swathed brightness.

And just as I finished, as I completed the last section of tedious and longwinded formatting, a song came on over my headphones. Thomas Newman's theme to American Beauty with its calm stillness and tranquility caught my mood and now I'm sitting in the brightness, surrounded by wind and rain, listening to the sounds of beauty.

2 Comments:

At 12:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a really interesting essay! Did you do anything about Bradford? They have a really good initiative there called "bridging communities". Also in Manchester some organisations like the Citizens Advice Bureaus and some banks had signs up "welcoming refugees".

Anyway, keep up the hard work!

gdayscott x+

 
At 1:13 pm, Blogger Patrick said...

Oh wow! That's pretty interesting - especially considering the xenophobic attitude of so much of our Daily Mail led press.

Unfortunately I couldn't even mention the UK because it was for a European focus so I had to look at only Germany and Italy, but that would have been great! Hey, next time I'm doing a crazy essay I should post the question up on here - see what advice I get because that would have been great! Thanks 'MR GDAY'!

Speaking of which, I told my Grandfather the title of my essay the other night when I was calling him and he called me back a few minutes later with a quote from Churchill:

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried from time to time."And then he told me he's quite like to have a go at that essay, so you never know, I might just be able to compare his thoughts on the topic to mine... He'd probably be better at it too; just too darn smart for me. I love granparents!


Anyway, thanks a bunch!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home