I need some inconsistency

An amalgamation of content: the aim not to politicise, but exercise. I'll think aloud about politics, technology, current news, as well as being a gay boy and what that really entails.

Wednesday, March 17, 2004

It's the GREY album

Of course this is really late and everything, but I just remembered it. I got this a few weeks ago, and was just desperately trying to free space on my drives and found the files again. I'm loving "Justify My Thug". There's a thumping bass line, and a top line that just floats over it all.

THE GREY ALBUM STORY
The Grey album story starts with a little known DJ who mixed the vocals of Jay-Z's The Black Album with the Beatles' White album. This, creatively enough, became the Grey Album. He sent out a some promo copies (supposedly the paltry 3,000). As one would expect, having not cleared the rights with EMI/Sony or Def Jam, the respective copyright holders were not best pleased and began sending out cease and desist letters. He's stopped sending it out, but that doesn't stop the rest of us being interesting in the product. If there's no way of getting it without using the net (the sum royalties required by both parties equalling more than 100% of the cost, it would never be economic to publish widely) - we might as well enjoy the music whilst we can.

"If somebody like Ringo or Paul McCartney heard it, I think they would dig it," says Danger Mouse. "If Jay-Z heard it and said, 'This sucks, dude,' then I'd be like, 'OK, everyone please send me back their copies.'"
How to get it
RollingStone review

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home