I need some inconsistency

An amalgamation of content: the aim not to politicise, but exercise. I'll think aloud about politics, technology, current news, as well as being a gay boy and what that really entails.

Thursday, March 18, 2004

Interview with Jason Nevins from about.com

He's the DJ behind last year's hit "I'm in Heaven" ft Holly James, and the excellent mix of "Nothing Fails" which is on Madonna's Remixed and Revisited EP. Great stuff.

RS: Whenever I mention to people Jason Nevins, they all know about your mix of Run DMC’s “It’s Like That” and how at the 2003 Billboard Dance Music Summit in New York, you told the story of the record. How did that record come into being and what have you learnt from the experience?
Nevins: The first thing that I’ve learned from experience, is that you really can’t believe what people tell you and you have to take matters into your own hands The second thing is to never bring a record to its original label, like I did with this record. I brought my remix to Profile, which owns the Run DMC catalogue, and that was a huge mistake right there because I basically brought them what they already owned and they had free will to do with it what they wanted. That’s why I got stuck with the lousy deal that I did, because it sold nearly five million copies and I got about five thousand dollars from it.

RS: Also in that 80s slant, what inspired the Michael Jackson sample for you’re “I’m in Heaven” record?
Nevins: No, believe it or not, there was a bootleg that was floating around that I loved, and they did a similar thing. I got the idea basically from that bootleg and I re-did it and recreated the whole thing and then wrote the lyrics myself. I came up with the whole thing, producing and engineering it from start to finish. It was a white label thing that I found and I turned it into something authentic and legitimate.




dancemusic.about.com interview

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home