I need some inconsistency

An amalgamation of content: the aim not to politicise, but exercise. I'll think aloud about politics, technology, current news, as well as being a gay boy and what that really entails.

Monday, October 20, 2003

Alaina's in the news

Bumbling around the net a few moments ago, I decided to google (don't sue me, I used it as a verb!) one of my best friend's name. Bang it in the toolbar and up comes a press article. My god, she's the best:
""People don't realize the meaning behind the term," says Alaina, one the GSA students working on the campaign. "If someone's thinking about coming out in school and they hear one of their friends saying 'that's so gay,' it puts up a red flag.""



That's so superb. The article resides here and was written by one of the teachers at her then School. I'm so proud of her - plus, I didn't even know about this. The 'that's so Gay' issue has traveled across the world; perhaps it's been spread by television, perhaps just by word of mouth. Whatever the vector it does cause offense. I've had this too - a lot of kids who are really very young - of about eight years old- know the 'that's gay' terminology. It's not offensive to me as such but the fact that it's thought to NOT cause offense is in itself, offensive. The term is so broadly used as a descriptor and as an offhand aside that it becomes commonly part of the language, whilst in fact it is really a derogatory term.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home