I need some inconsistency

An amalgamation of content: the aim not to politicise, but exercise. I'll think aloud about politics, technology, current news, as well as being a gay boy and what that really entails.

Tuesday, October 14, 2003

I Thought We Had Already Decided AIDS was Caused by Reagan Speeches and Lack of Funding


Man found guilty of deliberately infecting others with HIV

"LONDON (Reuters) - A man has been found guilty of infecting two women with HIV, the first time anyone in England and Wales has been convicted of knowingly passing on the virus.

One of the victims said her life had been devastated by Dica's actions. "This has been a tragic part of my life," she said in a statement read out by police on her behalf.

"Not only did I find out that I had contracted HIV but I also discovered that the person who gave it to me, whom I trusted and loved, had been infected for five years."

The woman, who has children, said she was glad Dica had been stopped from infecting anyone else and hoped she would be able to get on with her life.

"Sadly this is not over for me. My sentence has just begun."

Link

This reminds me of the Queer As Folk US episode that deals with deliberately contracting the virus. I'd heard about this about 3 years before on an episode of ER where a guy and his boyfriend come into the hospital 'worried' about the risk of HIV only to reveal themselves as disappointed when the infected man's partner ISN'T in turn infected. I learn so much from TV and the media; it shows how valuable sources like this are, and how they so desperately need to be honest and open. In the QAF show there was an infection party - giving 'the gift' to men who aren't yet infected. I think the aim was in part to be closer to their partners who ARE infected, and perhaps partly for the thrill? These guys are called 'bug chasers'. Also of course was the documentary that I never managed to see called 'The Gift' which talked about this precise thing.
It makes me cringe, just the idea. I hate the idea, really hate it. I can imagine wanting to be helpful and with someone through their struggle, but to knowingly and deliberately basically kill yourself is just abhorrent. I find the idea hard to even conceive, to even formulate the IDEA in my head.
So in a way I suppose I link the two, the idea that this guy mentioned above infected women deliberately to the idea that these guys are actually looking to contract the bug. I don't know why as one is malicious and the other is almost in sympathy to be something of love. Despite this they still both appear completely awful to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home