I need some inconsistency

An amalgamation of content: the aim not to politicise, but exercise. I'll think aloud about politics, technology, current news, as well as being a gay boy and what that really entails.

Monday, May 17, 2004

Drained and enthusiastic

lily with pollen in the summer sun

I feel a lack of enthusiasm for everything at the moment. The summer sun is draining me, although I'm enjoying it. The problem with summer is that it can be so light late into the evening that you're drawn into a false sense of security of thinking that it still makes sense to do things, when you should really be acknowledging that you're shattered and need to sleep!

I'm going to be leaving my job at the end of the week, in preparation for a beautifully long break where I'll first do nothing at home, read and go running, then I'll go on vacation and visit a million and one old friends, and then I'll come home and do some really interesting but very short term work with various companies. And so I feel like I'm storing up my enthusiasm for that rather than caring about what's going on now. I was cooking for my mother and sister last night whilst my dad's in Hong Kong and realised that I really didn't care what I was doing. I was chopping some Aubergine (Eggplant) ready for a pasta sauce, and suddenly realised how dead on my feet I was and just had to go and sit on the table. Sometimes you know how your legs just die from under you and you can't really keep it up. That was me.

One thing that's funny is all the people at my work asking me whether I'm looking forward to leaving. I can't really decide, but in a way I don't think I will. I'll relish not having to do menial duties for people far less competent than myself, but I'll really miss the people. Some of them are just so crazy there that I'll certainly keep thinking about them. There's Wendy who always comes in half an hour late then criticises you, but laughs at the same time; Richie who has little tiffs with his girlfriend, also working at the store, in front of everyone around which makes you feel like you really know them; Laura who never stops sucking her fingers even though there's nothing on them, she just has her fingers in her mouth the whole time; Jaz the heterosexual gay boy who has the most camp distressed jeans combinations I've ever witnessed and shirts left halfway open so all the women can see his chest hair.

They're all characters, and I'll be so horrible not being able to laugh with them every day. That's what I'll miss, not the lack of money or the distraction from daily life that working brings, but the people. I suppose that's how it's really supposed to be.

The one thing I'm really liking at the moment is flowers, especially blooming flowers. The other day I was walking past a market seller who was trying get rid of his last lilies for the day, selling them cheap, so I picked up two bunches. Now they're flowering indoors to accompany all the stunning blooms outside at the moment. I think I'll post a few more photos over the next few days, of some flowers. I love the macro shots of blooms that I'm getting at the moment, whatever the flower is, the images just look so alive!<

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home