I need some inconsistency

An amalgamation of content: the aim not to politicise, but exercise. I'll think aloud about politics, technology, current news, as well as being a gay boy and what that really entails.

Monday, October 27, 2003

Among the crowd, people keep making this mistake

<rant>
Everyone keeps on talking about 'gay marriage' and how the government should or shouldn't legislate. What's going wrong here; the state can't do anything about it other than make the legal status change. Marriage is something according to church laws and if they don't want me there, I'm not really that bothered. I have no real opinion on gay marriage itself, the idea that governments should 'ban' it seems hasty to me though. Bravo (see above) links to O. Ricardo Pimentel of the Arizona Republic who says:

Though a state appellate court, in a ruling against a Phoenix gay couple who wanted to wed, said, "the choice to marry a same-sex partner has not taken sufficient root to receive constitutional protection as a fundamental right."

I'm certain that, courts too, will realize in time that there is no more fundamental right than being free to choose our own spouses, or whether we can have one at all. And all their present-day arguments will sound as silly as those that upheld all those other items we now find abhorrent..

I get what he's saying there, and also find the arguement a rather educated way of saying "This is too difficult at the moment, people I like don't like it, so I'm not going to make a fuss. Let's try later when everyone's calmed down."
Why wait? It means there's no confrontation with GOP, but is that really a good thing? Let them legislate against the idea, and then in five/ten years time the Democrats can return and say
'hey look how the rest of the world has moved on and accepted the idea of gay marriage. Why is this so difficult for the US, the so called tolerant nation. The Republicans did this, created this disharmony. We can come in and change things, reverse the economics hoisted on the US which emphasise gluttony and consumption, emphasise education and diversity rather than religion and arms. The GOP got it wrong, but there is another way.'

I never understand how the US is so divisive and yet stresses all around the wish to be together. The Pledge of Allegiance:
I pledge allegiance to the Flag
of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.


Of course there are problems with the religion aspect 'under god', and the real meaning/intentions of the word liberty' could be seen as meaning something other than what I'd read into it. I don't know. I finish with Pimentel again:
But the question isn't really whether we're ready. It's whether there is any compelling reason other than outdated historical and religious biases for denying gays this right.

There isn't.


</rant>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home