I need some inconsistency

An amalgamation of content: the aim not to politicise, but exercise. I'll think aloud about politics, technology, current news, as well as being a gay boy and what that really entails.

Sunday, May 23, 2004

Dating Myself

"I was walking down the street [by which I mean the only street in illustrious downtown Oberlin the other day when I ran into a friend of mine. And MAN, was she looking extremely fine. Now, I don’t mean to say that she doesn’t look good ordinarily, but that day she was looking amazing — like, trying-hard amazing. I told her she looked totally hot, and rather than saying some liberal-arts-student-can’t-take-a-compliment-this-
shirt-only-cost-me-two-dollars-at-goodwill shit like I was expecting her to, she said:


“ Thanks, I’m dating myself for a week.”


She said it like it was the most normal thing ever. I mean, people date themselves all the time, right? No, but maybe we all should. I pumped her for more details and the more she told me, the more I liked the idea. She said she was just going to try to impress herself all the time, and take extra-special care of herself. Sexual innuendos non-withstanding, couldn’t we all stand to treat ourselves a little bit better? "



I'm loving this idea which comes from the new (to me anyway) eZine called Junk published by a load of students of Oberlin College. They're annoyed, as they write, by the prevalence of hot nude shots of women in popular magazines and the lack of the same shots of men. So they set up a magazine to counter that. Anway, on dating yourself, I think it's the kind of thing you kind of want to be doing all the time but can't really be bothered to make the effort. I suppose it's all about the effort - do you care enough to make the difference when it's only you that will really notice or at least know that there's something unusualto look out for.
Junk via gay Fleshbot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home