I need some inconsistency

An amalgamation of content: the aim not to politicise, but exercise. I'll think aloud about politics, technology, current news, as well as being a gay boy and what that really entails.

Friday, November 07, 2003

entrepreneur

I feel hesitant thinking it. I feel even worse saying it. I feel awkward agreeing with it. But I still do think it:
Over the last few months I’ve been noticing and wondering about the way that ‘black’ culture isolates itself much of the time. I don’t understand the point much of the time, and would have thought the process counterproductive. This session of pondering was brought about by a magazine. It was called ‘Black Enterprise’. The thing is this: I can understand wanting to have an African-American perspective of the Investing world and the intricacies of finance, but I don’t think making it a black only thing helps. I think this kind of thing isolates a lot of black people because it assumes that they’re already being excluded from the present publications such as Forbes, Fortune, Mother Jones, The Economist, Business 2.0 and so forth. As a result people feel they’re excluded and so want an outlet for this. I think it can then spread to the wider culture - people thinking that they’re not accepted, but rather merely tolerated.
As a customer from Amazon.com commented:
While this publication may target those of African American descent, it is an excellent resource for people of all races.

I’d read it – I just don’t understand the ‘black’ tagline – it seems as though it’s being exclusive.

On a kind of related note, there’s a really interesting page on their site which lets see their advertising rates – very revealing!
link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home