I need some inconsistency

An amalgamation of content: the aim not to politicise, but exercise. I'll think aloud about politics, technology, current news, as well as being a gay boy and what that really entails.

Friday, August 15, 2003

Talking to god

had a lovely discussion with my grandmother this evening about leeds university, ireland and my extended family. She's a really wonderful lady and a (geographically distant) tower of strength in my family. It's great talking to her because she gives the impression that she understands and at least sympathises with your point of view. She finished our phone call however, with a rather saddening note. "Say your prayers won't you" she said "wha, um, pardon" I managed to stumble out "You will say your prayers won't you this evening?" I had to respond with a blank to her, felt I 'had' to lie. I hate to do it but I said "yes, ok, of course". I don't know whether it's the idea that she wouldn't like me as much if she knew I had no belief whatsoever in god, or whether I'm trying to shelter HER from some of the pain of realisation that you haven't in fact passed on one of the leading figures of your life to those generations following you - those who should most of all be instilled with your wisdom.
Perhaps I will say my prayers tonight, just for her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home